Thank you for choosing to be part of our community at The Immigration Project, Inc., doing business as The Immigration Project (“The Immigration Project,” “we,” “us,” “our”). We are committed to protecting your personal information and your right to privacy. If you have any questions of concerns about this privacy notice, or our practices with regards to your personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
When you visit our website http://www.immigrationproject.org (the “Website”), and more generally use any of our services (the “Services”, which include the website), we appreciate that you are trusting us with your personal information. We take your privacy very seriously. In this privacy notice, we seek to explain what information we collect, how we use it, and what rights you have in relation to the collection of personal information. We hope that you take some time to read through this privacy notice carefully. If there are any terms in this notice that you do not agree with, please discontinue use of our Services immediately.
This privacy notice applied to all information that is collected through our Services (which, as described above, includes our Website), as well as any related services, sales, marketing, or events.
Please read this privacy notice carefully; it will help to clarify what we do with information that we collect.
Table of contents
- What information do we collect?
- How do we use your information?
- Will your information be shared with anyone?
- Is your information transferred internationally?
- How long do we keep your information?
- How do we keep your information safe?
- Do we collect information from minors?
- What are your privacy rights?
- Controls for do-not-track features
- Do California residents have specific privacy rights?
- Do we make updates to this notice?
- How can you contact us about this notice?
- How can you review, update, or delete the data we collect from you?
1. What information do we collect?
Information Automatically Collected
In Short: Some information- such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address and/or browser and device characteristics – is collected when you visit our Website.
We automatically collect certain information when you visit, use, or navigate the Website. This information is not specific, and does not reveal a users’ identity (like your name or contact information), but may include device and usage information, such as your IP address, browser and device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, device name, country, location, information about how and when you use our Website and other technical information. This information is primarily needed to maintain the security and operation of our Website, and for our internal analytics and reporting purposes.
The information that we collects includes:
Log and Usage Data: Log and usage data is service-related, diagnostic, usage, and performance information that is collected automatically by our servers when a user accesses our Website. This information is recorded in log files. Depending on how a user interacts with us and the Website, this log data may include information may include your IP address device information, browser type and settings and information about your activity in the Web site (such as date and time stamps associated with your usage, pages and files viewed, searches and other actions you take such as which features you use), device event information (such as system activity, error reports (sometimes called ‘crash dumps’) and hardware settings).
Device Data: We collect device data such as information about your computer, phone, tablet, or other device you have used to access the Website. Depending on the device used, this device data may include information such as your IP address (or proxy server), device and application identification numbers, location, browser type, hardware model Internet service provider and/or mobile carrier, operating system, and system configuration information.
Location Data: We collect location data such as information about your device’s location, which can be precise or imprecise. How much information we collect depends on the type and settings of the device used to access the Website. For example, we may use GPS and other technologies to collect geolocation data based on your IP address. You can opt out of allowing us to collect this information wither by refusing access to the information or by disabling your Location Setting on your device. Note however, if you choose to opt out, you may not be able to use certain aspects of the Services.
Information collected from other sources
In short: We may collect limited data from public databases, marketing partners, and other outside sources.
To enhance our ability to provide relevant marketing, offers, and services to you, and in order to update our records, we may obtain information about you from other sources such as public databases, joint marketing partners, affiliate programs, data providers, and other third parties. This information includes mailing addresses, job titles, email addresses, phone numbers, intent data (or user behavior data), Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, social media profiles, social media URLs and custom profiles.
2. How do we use your information?
In Short: we process your information for purposes based on legitimate business interests, the fulfillment of our contract with you, and compliance with our legal obligations.
We use personal information collected via our Website for a variety of business purposes described below. We process your personal information for these purposes in reliance on our legitimate business interests, to enter into, or perform, a consensual contract with you, and/or for compliance with our legal obligations. We indicate the specific processing grounds we rely on next to each purpose below.
We use the information we collect or receive:
- To send administrative information to you. We may use your personal information to send you products, services, and new feature information, and/or information about changes to our terms.
- To protect our Services. We may use your information as part of our efforts to keep our website safe and secure (for example, for fraud monitoring and prevention).
- To respond to legal requests and prevent harm. If we receive a subpoena or other legal request, we may need to inspect the data we hold to determine how to respond.
- Fulfill and manage your orders. We may use your information to fulfill and manage your orders, payments, returns, and exchanges made through the Website.
- Administer prize draws and competitions. We may use your information to administer prize draws and competitions when you elect to participate in our competitions.
- To deliver and facilitate delivery of services to the user. We may use your information to provide you with the requested service.
- To respond to user inquiries/offer support to users. We may use your information to respond to your inquiries and solve any potential issues you may have with the use of our Services.
- To send you marketing and promotional communications. We and/or our third-party marketing partners may use the personal information you send us for marketing purposes if this is in accordance with your marketing preferences. For example, when expressing an interest in obtaining information about us or our website. You can opt-out of our marketing emails at any time (see the “WHAT ARE YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS” below).
- Deliver targeted advertising to you. We may use your information to develop and display personalized content and advertising (and work with third parties who do so) which is tailored to your interests and/or location.
- For other business purposes. We may use your information for other businesses purposes, such as data analysis, identification of usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, and/or to evaluate and improve our website, products, marketing, and user experience. We may use and store this information in aggregated and anonymized form so that it is not associated with individual end users and does not include personal information. We will not use identifiable personal information without your consent.
3. Will your information be shared with anyone?
In short: We only share information with your consent, to comply with laws, provide you with services, protect your rights, or to fulfill business obligations.
We may process or share your data that we hold based on the following legal bases:
-Consent: we may process your data if you have given us specific consent to use your personal information for a specific purpose.
-Legitimate Interests: We may process your data when it is reasonably necessary to achieve our legitimate business interests.
-Performance of a Contract: Where we have entered into a contract with you, we may process your personal information to fulfill the terms of this contract.
-Legal Obligations: We may disclose your information where we are legally required to do so in compliance with applicable laws, governmental requests, judicial processing, court orders or legal processes, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena (including in response to public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements).
-Vital interests: We may disclose your information where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding potential violations of our policies, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person and illegal activities, or as evidence in litigation in which we are involved.
More specifically, we may need to process your data or share your personal information in the following situations:
- Business Transfers: We may share or transfer your information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company.
4. Is your information transferred internationally?
In short: We may transfer, store, and process your information in countries other than your own.
Our servers and business are located in The United States of America (“USA”). If you are accessing our Website from outside of the USA, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed by us in our facilities and those third parties with whom we may share your personal information (see WILL YOUR INFORMATION BE SHARED WITH ANYONE? above), and in other countries.
If you are a resident in the European Economic Area, then these countries may not necessarily have data protection laws or other similar laws as comprehensive as those of your own country of residence. Despite this, we will take all reasonable and necessary measures to protect personal user information in accordance with this privacy notice and applicable law.
5. How long do we keep your information?
In Short: We keep your information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined by this privacy notice unless otherwise required by law.
We will only keep your information for as long as is necessary to fulfill the purposes set out in this privacy notice, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law (such as tax, accounting, or other legal requirements). No purpose in this notice will require us keeping your personal information for longer than 90 days, except for your voluntary enrollment in one of our programs such as The Immigration Project Community Navigators.
When we have no ongoing legitimate business needs to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize such information, or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives,) then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from further processing until deletion is possible.
6. How do we keep your information safe?
In Short: We aim to protect your personal information through a system of organizational and technical security measures.
We have implemented appropriate technical and organizational security measures designed to protect the security of personal user information that we collect. However, despite efforts to secure your information, no electronic transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure; as such, we cannot guarantee that hackers, cyber criminals, or other unauthorized third parties will not be able to defeat our security measures and improperly collect, access, distribute, steal, or modify personal user information. Though we take the security of our users seriously, use of, and transmission of information on, our Website is at your own risk. Users should only access the Website from a secure environment.
7. Do we collect information from minors?
In Short: We do not knowingly collect data from, or market to, children under the age of 18.
We do not knowingly solicit data from, or market to, children under 18 years of age. By using the Website, you represent that you are at least 18, or that you are the parent or guardian of such a minor and consent to such minor dependent’s use of the Website. If we learn that personal information from a user under the age of 18 has been improperly collected, we will deactivate that account and take reasonable measures to promptly delete such data from our records. If you become aware of any data that we may have collected from children under age 18, please contact us at email@example.com.
8. What are your privacy rights?
In Short: You may review, change, or terminate your account at any time.
If you are a resident in the European Economic Area and you believe we are unlawfully processing your information, you also have the right to complain to your local data protection supervisory authority. You can find their contact details here: https://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/bodies/authorities/index_ed.htm
If you are resident in Switzerland, the contact details for the data protection authorities are available here: https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/edoeb/en/home.html
9. Controls for Do-Not-Track features
Most web browsers and some mobile operating systems and mobile applications include a Do-Not-Track (“DNT”) feature or setting you can activate to signal your privacy preferences, indicating that you do not wish to have online browsing activities monitored and/or collected. At this stage, no uniform technology standard for recognizing and implementing DNT signals has been finalized, and as such, we do not currently respond to DNT browser signals or any other mechanism that automatically communicates your choice not to be tracked online. If a standard for online tracking is adopted that we must follow in the future, we will inform you about that practice in an updated privacy notice.
10. Do California residents have specific privacy rights?
In Short: Yes, if you are resident in California, you are granted specific rights regarding access to your personal information.
California Civil Code Section 1798.83, also known as the “Shine The Light” law, permits out users who are California residents to request and obtain from us, once a year and free of charge, information about categories of personal information (if any) we disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes as well as the name and addresses of all third parties personal information was shared with during the immediately preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please submit your request in writing to using the contact information provided below.
If you are under 18 years of age, reside in California, and have a registered account with the Website, you have the right to request removal of unwanted data that you publicly post on the Website. To request removal of such data, please contact us using the contact information provided below, and include the e-mail address associate with your account and a statement that you reside in the State of California. We will make sure that the data is not publicly displayed on the Website, but please be aware that the data may not be completely or comprehensively removed from all of our systems (e.g. backups, etc.).
11. Do we make updates to this notice?
In Short: Yes, we will update this notice as is necessary to stay compliant with relevant laws.
We may update this privacy notice from time to time. The updated version will be indicated by an updated “Revised” date, and the updated version will be effective as soon as it is available. If we make material changes to this policy notice, we may notify you by prominently posting notice of such changes or by the direct delivery of a notification. We encourage you to review this privacy notice frequently to be informed of howe we are protecting your information.
12. How can you contact us about this notice?
13. How can you review, update, or delete the data that we collect from you?
Based on the applicable laws of your country, you may have the right to request access to the personal information we collect from you, change that information, or delete it in some circumstances. To request a review of, update, or delete, your personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your request within 30 days.